Oral surgery

Thursday, February 06, 2014 nenolovesyou 0 Comments

Last week:
I did something courageous! Well, not really. More like I mustered every ounce of courage I had so I could undergo my wisdom teeth extraction. During lab, I had talked to a few people who had reassured me that the surgery wouldn't be 'too bad.' They were right for the most part. When I went in, they immediately took me to the surgery room. It looked just like a normal dental room and not all fancy like I thought it would be. The nurses gave me my heart monitor and when the doctor came in, he put in my IV.. I was being put to sleep. I saw the ceiling spin right after he said "it'll just be a little poke..." and BAM I was fast asleep. 
when I woke up I could barely remember anything that happened. they walked me out (mostly holding me because my legs felt so flimsy and weak) and I met my parents. While sitting down I pulled out my phone from my jacket and started writing something out. I'm assuming I really wanted food (hey, I hadn't eaten in 12 hours!) and asked the nurse when I could have a milkshake. she laughed and told me in an hour I'd be okay to have one and she even gave us little wendy's coupons for frostys! :) I took a picture of the note later that night because I thought it was just too funny.

After I went home:
I was bleeding, profusely, but these little gauges (?) were absorbing all the blood in my mouth! I had to change them every hour, but surprisingly I didn't need them for too long. Later that night, I tried my pain killer medicine, which made me VERY nauseated. I did end up throwing up :( but the rest of the night was fine. 

Day 2-3:
I didn't eat any solid foods. Strict soup and juice diet! I didn't want to reverse any healing or blood clotting that had happened. Plus, I've read about dry sockets and infections after wisdom teeth extractions and it does not look pretty. So to avoid that pain I didn't eat solid food or brush my last teeth next to the extraction site. Also, I had so much swelling. My face has baby chubby cheeks as it is, but wow, they got tremendously huge! My friends saw me on FaceTime and said they thought I looked like I had swallowed golfballs haha. I didn't have school though, and as long as there's was no incredible pain, I didn't really mind what I looked like.

Day 4-5:
Swelling was slowly dying down, but now accompanied by yellowish bruising on my lower jawline (near my chin). I don't believe these bruises were there immediately following my surgery but I think they were the result of the swelling going down. Nothing makeup can't cover up though! 

Day 6: TODAY! :)
yesss I've made it almost a week! One side of my face seems to be almost recovered. the other side is meh, so-so. It's getting there but not as quick as the other side. I might just call and have them check up on it though! But overall, I made it through my surgery! 4 wisdom teeth I'll never see again! :)










0 comments: